
Primary. Primary. Primary.
Primary has completely taken over my life, my time, my brain, my computer desk, my bedroom dresser and closet (and bed on some days - sorry honey), my kitchen, my email inbox, my voicemail. . . my heart.
So I feel like I need to dedicate at least one post to this all-consuming part of my life.
Ten months ago (when I was just a counselor) the Primary president divided up responsibilities for the year. I was assigned one big project pretty much. The Primary Program. Perfect, right? Five months later our music leader went on vacation so I filled in for her until she came back. Except she never came back. After two months she sent out an email saying that she had moved. A new music leader was never called. So two months before the Primary Program (which I was busily writing and gathering music for), the primary president announced that we would all be released. I thought for sure I would be called to be the Primary music leader. . . um, since I was already doing it! AND since I was already in charge of and directing the Primary Program. But no. Instead they called me to be the president. And then they still never called a new music leader. You'd think this wouldn't be a big deal - except that I am sort of obsessed with teaching Primary music and I can't. . . I simply can't just do a half-thrown together job. So there I was each Sunday conducting Primary, leading the music, teaching sharing time, and directing the Primary Program. . . with Eliza on my hip. That's in addition to all the meetings - all the meetings!, speaking in sacrament meeting - twice!, speaking at four baptisms - including Clayton's! And successfully organizing and executing the biggest Primary activity of the year!
I think I almost went insane. ask Nate.
But with the program over - whew! (it was wonderful and spiritual - everybody cried.) The Primary activity done - whew! ($5 pizza and Oreo spiders won the hearts of everyone!) And lots of new Primary people called (including a new music leader) - whew! Things are finally settling down to a normal pace (just in time for the annual Primary Christmas program. Yay!).
And despite it all. . . I love Primary. Specifically ours.
Our Primary is rich in culture and heritage. With six different languages, we span the globe with children coming from all over Latin America, Alaska, Nigeria, China, and the Philippines. We have children who are native Texans and more who have come here from all parts of the country. We have children whose families have been members for generations and children whose families are brand new to the church! We have children with disabilities who teach us kindness and love. It is an exciting time and place for me. And Sundays are exhausting. . . and exhilarating!
The benefits of Primary totally paid off this week. The Sharing Time lesson was about serving others. The children re-enacted the parable of the Good Samaritan. Then I assigned them to be "Secret Service Agents" for a week. They made "From the Secret Service Agent" tags to leave secretly in the place of every service performed. The kids really got into it - particularly mine.
So far, I have discovered the laundry already folded and put away, dishes and table cleared, pajamas laid out, beds made, toys organized, and a special picture and note on my desk. . . all from the Secret Service Agent (and all while I wasn't looking!). When Nate came home from work last night, he found his ginormous pile of hedge clippings all bagged up for him - with "Secret Service Agent" tags taped to each bag. For two days our home has been filled with happy, stifled giggles as Nate and I try to discover again and again the identity of the Secret Service Agent. PLUS. . . all this extra work being done means I actually have time to blog about it! See the good that comes from service?? From Primary??

So much good. So worth all the time and energy.
I love Primary.
.
Primary has completely taken over my life, my time, my brain, my computer desk, my bedroom dresser and closet (and bed on some days - sorry honey), my kitchen, my email inbox, my voicemail. . . my heart.
So I feel like I need to dedicate at least one post to this all-consuming part of my life.
Ten months ago (when I was just a counselor) the Primary president divided up responsibilities for the year. I was assigned one big project pretty much. The Primary Program. Perfect, right? Five months later our music leader went on vacation so I filled in for her until she came back. Except she never came back. After two months she sent out an email saying that she had moved. A new music leader was never called. So two months before the Primary Program (which I was busily writing and gathering music for), the primary president announced that we would all be released. I thought for sure I would be called to be the Primary music leader. . . um, since I was already doing it! AND since I was already in charge of and directing the Primary Program. But no. Instead they called me to be the president. And then they still never called a new music leader. You'd think this wouldn't be a big deal - except that I am sort of obsessed with teaching Primary music and I can't. . . I simply can't just do a half-thrown together job. So there I was each Sunday conducting Primary, leading the music, teaching sharing time, and directing the Primary Program. . . with Eliza on my hip. That's in addition to all the meetings - all the meetings!, speaking in sacrament meeting - twice!, speaking at four baptisms - including Clayton's! And successfully organizing and executing the biggest Primary activity of the year!
I think I almost went insane. ask Nate.
But with the program over - whew! (it was wonderful and spiritual - everybody cried.) The Primary activity done - whew! ($5 pizza and Oreo spiders won the hearts of everyone!) And lots of new Primary people called (including a new music leader) - whew! Things are finally settling down to a normal pace (just in time for the annual Primary Christmas program. Yay!).
And despite it all. . . I love Primary. Specifically ours.
Our Primary is rich in culture and heritage. With six different languages, we span the globe with children coming from all over Latin America, Alaska, Nigeria, China, and the Philippines. We have children who are native Texans and more who have come here from all parts of the country. We have children whose families have been members for generations and children whose families are brand new to the church! We have children with disabilities who teach us kindness and love. It is an exciting time and place for me. And Sundays are exhausting. . . and exhilarating!
The benefits of Primary totally paid off this week. The Sharing Time lesson was about serving others. The children re-enacted the parable of the Good Samaritan. Then I assigned them to be "Secret Service Agents" for a week. They made "From the Secret Service Agent" tags to leave secretly in the place of every service performed. The kids really got into it - particularly mine.
So far, I have discovered the laundry already folded and put away, dishes and table cleared, pajamas laid out, beds made, toys organized, and a special picture and note on my desk. . . all from the Secret Service Agent (and all while I wasn't looking!). When Nate came home from work last night, he found his ginormous pile of hedge clippings all bagged up for him - with "Secret Service Agent" tags taped to each bag. For two days our home has been filled with happy, stifled giggles as Nate and I try to discover again and again the identity of the Secret Service Agent. PLUS. . . all this extra work being done means I actually have time to blog about it! See the good that comes from service?? From Primary??
So much good. So worth all the time and energy.
I love Primary.
.
6 comments:
Emily, you were made to be the primary president. I on the other had am not. Apparently I am being groomed for it because I have been in primary for 10 of the last 12 years. I've held every calling, except President, and very often I am like you conducting the meeting, leading the music, and teaching sharing time. You would think that I would've grown to love it by now, but actually I am ready to NOT be in primary for a while. I don't know what it is. I can't get out of Primary, and Rick can't get out of Scout Master. The two callings I would never pick for us! Maybe some of your love and inspiration will rub off on me. Keep the primary posts coming!
Your life is too much like mine!!!! It's such a shame we're not next door neighbors. . .
I want some secret service agents here, please. That is a great idea. But what I think is really is great is your kids. Such a great family. Good to know there are parents out there that are raising kids that will actually contribute to society :).
I've been wondering how the Primary President thing was going for you. I should have known that you were doing that AND the Primary Chorister thing too! Your Ward is so lucky to have you. Seriously Emily, you make us all look bad with your willingness to do everything and your never ending energy. Good thing you had a few secret service agents to help you(even if it was just a little).
Seriously...whenever I read your posts, I think that our generations should have been reversed, so that you would go through all of these experiences with such creativity, energy and thought, and then I could have followed and copied all of your ideas! At least I can pass on your great ideas to other mothers of young children. I do think of you and your sisters when I am dealing with children here at the MBHS and think to myself "What would my girls do?" The pictures of the kids are so cute!
Emily, I saw Jim's cousin in the picture of your primary. She must be a teacher. Her name is Lauren Eppich. What a small world! Looks like you have had great fun with your kids. Hearing about your primary adventures sure makes me miss having you guys around! You all look great!
Post a Comment