
Nate: So what did you learn at the Alamo?

Clayton: Um, nothing much that I didn't already know.
After reading up on Davy Crockett and the history ahead of time, the Alamo was just as Clayton expected. Although he was impressed with this tree.
Isaac: (practically sobbing) I learn-ded that the Alamo actually lose-ded!
Isaac has been a Davy Crockett fan, well. . . since he heard about Davy Crockett two months ago. Except we forgot to tell him that everyone - including his Hero - died in the end. He left the Alamo white-faced and devastated. We tried to explain to him that even though Davy Crockett died defending the Alamo and Santa Anna won the battle, it was still considered a victory. He didn't believe us.
Brig: Not to shoot other people. Not even pretend.
Good - good. I'm glad something sunk in. Nate got the boys toy rifles (rrr. . .) to match their Crockett hats (which they brought with them). They spent the entire afternoon defending the Alamo. For the most part, everyone thought the little boys were cute and enjoyed watching their re-enactment. For the most part. . . (check out the lady in the background with her hands in the air).
I learned that if it involves heroes, weapons, and a battle. . . little boys are in heaven. A guy at church was impressed when my kids told him their favorite part about Thanksgiving was visiting the Alamo. He said, "wow, that's wonderful that you appreciate history." I stifled a laugh. Appreciate history? These boys live it!
My favorite part of our Thanksgiving trip though was the Riverwalk, riding in boats, eating at restaurants, and spending time with my little kings of the wild frontier.




Victory or death! We remember the Alamo.
.
6 comments:
Fact: I am a descendant of the Crocketts. (Not Davy--his brother.)
Despite this heritage, we are still operating a weaponry-free playroom, although I think it's only a matter of time. I'll keep you posted.
Russ - I think you were the first to introduce my boys to BB guns at the ranch. They'll love you forever.
ML - related to the Crocketts? you are our new hero (especially since you are still alive and didn't die at the Alamo).
A weaponry-free playroom. . .Ha! just wait until you see what our playroom has turned into. . .
Why did we buy Isaac a brand new San Antonio T-shirt? You ask?
Because he was better behaved than the other children?
Because it was his birthday?
No. Because he dived off a rock (after I told him to get down) face-first into a pile of barf.
I want to here more about the jumping into a pile of barf story. What happened to Isaac?
uh, you really don't want to know all the details. It involves Isaac being his crazy self, the walkway in front of Denny's and some big rocks for decoration - not for climbing, and a huge puddle of somebody else's barf. gross.
its nice to see that as your kids grow older, at least some of them have hints of Emily. It used to be Nate Jr 1, 2, and 3.
Post a Comment