
I can only remember one other time that I wasn't in Oakley for the 4th of July and that was nine years ago when Nate and I lived in New York City. We were pretty lame too. We watched the fireworks (and Dolly Parton utterly slaughter the Star Spangled Banner) on television in the basement of our apartment. So this year I was a little lost (and homesick) figuring out how to celebrate Independence Day. . . by our lonesome. . . without any family. . . and sixteen hundred miles away from Oakley. And to be honest I had no plans as of 10:00 p.m. on July 3rd. Then I remembered Oakley. In Oakley there is always a parade. So we woke up bright and early, decorated bikes, invited some neighbors, and had our own neighborhood parade.
We even threw candy.






We discovered en route that the neighborhood actually has an official parade and celebration including prizes for best entry. The boys did a quick costume change and made it just in time! 

They marched as minute men. Clayton kept the drum beat. Isaac carried a copy of the Declaration of Independence. And Brig kept step like a true soldier. They were the stars of the parade.


I think the winning moment was when Isaac tipped his hat to the judges. Because guess what? They won first place!

They marched their way up the steps (in character) to receive their prize.

They each got a $15 gift card to McDonalds. Clayton has already figured out how many orders of hotcakes that makes.

The kids enjoyed eating snow cones, hot dogs, and cookies, and seeing friends from the neighborhood. It turned out to be quite a celebration.




Afterwards, Nate took the boys to play laser tag and then they disappeared for the next several hours playing Axis and Allies. These guys could not have been happier.

The girls and I took naps, took pictures, and made a gigantic flag cookie. Which was devoured by all.

(Isn't Lydia's hair looking so cute. . . and red?)



Later on that night we camped out in the hospital parking lot to watch the fireworks show.


It wasn't Oakley. But despite all our last minute plans, it was a very happy Fourth of July after all.



4 comments:
I love the minute men! So when did Lydia get that fiery red hair? All the kids are so cute. We missed you so much on the 4th! It was weird not having you and your kids around. I'm glad you had a good time though and we can't wait to see you in August!
How fun. I find I am at a loss for the 4th and 24th too unless I go home.
So...we've been in Midway for the last 2 1/2 weeks (although I admit that I sneaked down to Provo for the 4th--how could I resist??) and I thought of you each and every time we drove past the turn off for Oakley. At one point I even said to Brian, "I bet Emily and Nate are here for the 4th! Plus, she might be IN the parade, since she is former royalty!!" ;) (Miss you!!)
This is adorable.
Post a Comment