Liddybug is three! Or as she would say, bee. "I bee now. I not do. I bee!" It's a good thing she also holds up three fingers. then two. then three again as she says this, otherwise people would be so lost. Lydia has been in love with mermaids as long as I can remember. And, against my better judgement, I've indulged her. I sketch chalk mermaids on the driveway at her request. I make up new mermaid songs on a dime. I draw mermaids for her to color on demand. We sing the Little Mermaid Aria - at the top of our lungs - daily. We read books about mermaids. We play games about mermaids. We pretend to be mermaids! I allow her to splash her mermaid legs tail in the bath with Eliza and when she gets out I always exclaim (with my best Jamacian accent), "Just look at her on legs! On human legs! My nerves are shot. What will her father say? I tell you what her father say. He say he got to kill himself a crab! That's what her father say." Of course, she's only seen the movie once so she has no idea what I'm talking about but still. . .
She was totally thrilled when I made her a mermaid cake for her birthday. And as word got out, mermaid gifts from friends and grandparents far and wide poured in on her birthday. Here's how we celebrated:
On her actual birthday, we picked up a box of gourmet cupcakes to share. Lydia was really proud to carry the box. Unfortunately she also dropped the box.
Oh well, it tuns out smashed cupcakes taste just as delicious!
On Saturday we invited friends over for cake and game night.
Here is Lydia's mermaid cake. It's purple. And it's a mermaid. Just like the birthday girl requested.
I had so much fun making this cake.
And Lydia loved it.
This is a funny picture. I can't help chuckling at every face. But it's the only shot I got of all the kids together. I'm just keepin' it real.
We lit three candles. . .
And she blew them all out.
At the end of this video Lydia talks. She is so cute.
Handcrafted Mermaid cards from the McKays. I love these!
A birthday package from Grandma. I love Isaac!
Lydia was thrilled to open up her new princess purse and find it stashed with princesses - including her favorite mermaid!
She also got the bath toy version of "baby Ariel".
And two new mermaid books. Loved by all.
Modestly dressed mermaids are hard to come by. And, to be honest, there aren't that many mermaid books or toys that are very worthwhile. But I did find this book called "Mermaid Dance" that is beautiful! It's poetic and the artwork is stunning. Plus, the mermaids in this book sing and dance. . . and play musical instruments. . . and sew. . . and cook. . . and decorate. . . and clean. . .
I love it.
Three-year-old Lydia is vivacious, charming, and shockingly opinionated. She is definitely her own self - relentless, determined, and at times downright defiant. She has a will of steel and will win every standoff. I am living proof. Today I engaged with her in a heated debate in the busy entrance to the grocery store over shopping carts. She didn't want to ride. She wanted to "stay by me" which we all know means race through the store unsupervised plucking things off shelves at her every whim. She pulled the "but Eliza can walk" trick and I shot back with the "when you're four like Eliza" response. That was my mistake. Her face turned purple. She counted and held up four fingers for all to see and then in the loudest and longest yell imaginable announced, "Now I bore, mom!" about a hundred times - taking it up a notch each time. She never did get in the cart. Not even for a doughnut. And my shopping trip was sabotaged. But when the workings of the world are all running according to Lydia, she is the happiest, cleverest, pleasantest thing ever an eye did see. Thankfully her moments of defiance are few. Most of the time Lydia is smiley and sweet, fun-loving and full of hugs. She sings non-stop (which I adore) and sings her very loudest in the car especially when the rest of us are trying to listen to the audiobook (which I don't adore). She loves dressing up in fancy shoes and gowns. She will sit and look at books for hours. If she's moving she's running (we have to keep close tabs on her at church! as soon as she's let loose she's running down the hall and out the front doors!) Lydia seems to thrive in the chaos of living with four older siblings and has learned to assert herself when needed. Her favorite foods are blackberries, blueberries, and black bean soup with chips and cheese. She loves swimming lessons, nursery, and attending Eliza's preschool (when it's at our house). She loves playing outside - it's often the first thing she asks to do in the morning. She also loves stealing turns on the piano and getting into Eliza's violin. She wants nothing more than to be "practicing" (and doing everything else) like her older siblings. (I only wish they shared her enthusiasm!) Lydia is a blessing and a joy. I'm grateful everyday for this spunky little girl. We are so blessed to have Lydia in our family. Love you, Liddybug - you precious, opinionated, darling, little girl. . .





























2 comments:
Happy Birthday Lydia! She is so precious! Her little grin just says it all. Can't wait to see you in a few months!
I can't believe she is three! She is so cute and I love how you described her so well, helping me get to know her personality better.
It is cute how into mermaids she is. It makes me want to go read a mermaid book.
Post a Comment