This is my mom's wheat bread recipe. It is so so good. Even the smell brings back so many memories. And now with my new stand mixer, I can finally make it myself - as often as I want! And since it doesn't seem to last very long at my house (my kids ate two whole loaves in one day just for snack!) I have been making it a lot. So much, that my hand-scratched copy of the recipe has now been spilled on, dripped on, ripped and lost so many times that I am finally posting it here in a nicer and more permanent form!
Ingredients:
11 Cups Wheat Flour
5 Cups Water
2/3 Cup Oil
2/3 Cup Honey
2 Tb Salt
2 Tb Dry Yeast
In a small bowl, prepare the yeast by mixing 2 Tb of dry yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water. Stir slowly until yeast is bubbly and smooth then set aside. In the stand mixer combine 7 cups of flour, 5 cups of water, 2/3 cup of oil, 2/3 cup of honey, and 2 Tablespoons of salt. Add the yeast last and mix thoroughly with the beater. Remove the beater attachment and replace it with the kneader.
Slowly add an additional 4 cups of flour until the dough starts pulling away from the sides (it might be a little less than 4 cups). Let the dough knead for about 5 minutes.
Dump the dough out onto an oiled surface and divide into four equal pieces. Spray 4 bread pans with cooking oil and place the dough into the pans. Cover with a cloth and let rise for about one and a half hours.
Preheat oven to 375. Place bread in oven and bake for 10 minutes at 375. Then turn the oven down to 300 and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Then enjoy!
Lydia is my helper at home making bread.
And the other kids look forward to Thursdays when they can come home from school to the delicious smell of freshly baked bread!
Mmmmm. . .
Thanks mom, for this delicious bread!











3 comments:
This is such a good idea. My grandma used to make cinnamon rolls all the time w/o using a recip, and still does, but now that Alzheimers has set in, it's not quite the same. we ALL wish we would have an original copy of it ourselves.
Thank you so much for posting this!!! This is really the only reason I really want a stand mixer and I think I am now convinced I need one. I still dream about this bread and I haven't had it for years and years. I remember watching mom make it in her bosch and then wanting to eat a whole loaf myself. Now the recipe is handy whenever I do get my mixer!
Thanks for posting! I have been thinking about Mom's bread ever since you posted a picture of it a few weeks ago. Can't wait to go make some myself!
Post a Comment