Monday, January 26, 2015

Remember December

December, December.  How do you contain December?  December, as always, was full to brim with parties, programs, practices, performances, presents, packages, and projects!  I love December.  It is the best and busiest and happiest month of the year.  
Our December began with decorations, lights, stockings, and a new Christmas tree.  It's so fun to haul out our Christmas boxes every year - things old and new.

December 6th is Sammichlaus Day, which my grandparents began celebrating after serving missions in Germany.  The tradition has continued. Sammichlaus still comes to the ranch on December 6th bringing gifts to all the grandchildren. Doesn't this look magical?
Thankfully my mom sends us his gifts in a box that my kids look forward to opening every year when we have our own Sammichlaus celebration far from the ranch.





Eliza's Pre-K teacher transformed the "kitchen center" into "Santa's Workshop" in December.  The shelves were stacked with holiday cards, envelopes, crafts, wrapping paper, and decorations.  It was always a treat to see what creation Eliza would come home with.
I spent the first part of December illustrating a children's book about Christmas Eve at the ranch to send to my family.  It turned out so cute.
We went Christmas Caroling - twice!  The first time we delivered maple cotton candy.

The girls practiced singing their parts.
The next weekend we delivered my Christmas fudge - no Christmas is complete without it, right?
The kids made reindeer tags.
The youth in our ward also went Christmas caroling in the neighborhood surrounding the church.  They gave away Mr. Kruger's Christmas DVD's and a flier inviting them to church.
Eliza performed in her first piano recital.  She was so excited and did a fabulous job!  She played a Russian Folk Song with her teacher, Ms. Asya.
Hooray for another Piano recital in December!
Eliza and Lydia continued gymnastics in December - jumping, tumbling, climbing, swinging, and balancing all the way.
Eliza's school teacher made a Christmas blanket for us - which we enjoyed all month long.
We had a pair of skunks try to make a home in our backyard in December.  It took some tricky planning to get them to leave.
The kids made gingerbread cookies for the first time.


And reindeer cupcakes!

Don't these look appetizing???
We made tags for teacher gifts.


I loved Lydia's card for her teacher, Mrs. Sharif (from India).  I have never met a person full of so much love.  It radiates from her.  She's really amazing.
Christmas cards filled our wall and our hearts all month.
 We did our scripture advent calendar again this year. I looked forward to this every evening. Truly all things do testify of Him!
Clayton had his first band concert. . . which for beginning band, was better than I expected.

It was fun to watch Clayton on the back row moving between percussion instruments (Marimba for Beethoven's 5th, drums for Ode to Joy, and bells for Sleigh Ride)
Lydia's school also had a Christmas concert. I think they sang every Christmas song under the sun - in several different languages.
You can see Lydia's teacher in this picture


Pretty girl.
Here's a clip of her singing. . .
Besides singing, Lydia's second love is designing her own dress-ups.

And dancing to the constant practicing happening in our house.  
Her dreams came true at the PTO Christmas party when she got to play in a room filled with doll houses!
We also went to Eliza's class Christmas party which was full of singing, crafts, food, and smiles.










The kids did a book exchange.


Besides Christmas stuff, there was a little time for other things too. . .  like penguin battles.
Tree climbing.
And soccer.
The biggest accomplishment in December came when Lydia finished speech therapy!  I wish I would have taken a picture of her with Ms. Kaye. Instead, all I have is this picture of Eliza playing in the waiting room.  We are so proud of Lydia!
She has been using her newly aquired diction to tell mermaid stories.  Here is one she dictated in December. "Once upon a time there was a big girl mermaid named Lydia.  And she swimmed in the water.  She was so happy that all her friends came to see her - Emily and Una and Dora and Neesh and Noosh and Geena and Leena and Rilna and Nilla.  And she was so happy that she like-ted all her friends.  Then she found the mermaid cove!  And she had fun with all her mermaids except for the bad mermaid guys that go to the bad mermaid cove and they like-ted the good mermaid cove better.  There was one locking the door and they take-ted all the treasure!  The End"
And finally, December always brings out our creative sides!  I love the projects and artwork that my kids create in December!
 I love the baby inside Mary's tummy.
 Lydia loves gluing in preschool!
I love to remember December!

No comments: