Friday, June 11, 2010

Another Chitty Bang Bang Post

This is not deja vu. This is yet another post about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. So if you think you've seen these exact pictures before. . . you're probably thinking of these pictures - from more than two years ago. No, this is the wooden (cheaper, faker) version of Chitty that Isaac got for Christmas this year. There he is on Christmas morning. Fast forward to the next picture (which I took tonight) and you see the same wooden car after a few months of (major) wear and tear, some colorful upgrades, and a whole lot of love. (I can't tell you how many times I super-glued that darn thing back together for him!) Isaac loves Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Just in case there was any doubt.

When Isaac was two - barely two, my brother-in-law Mark sent the boys a copy of this old (odd) Dick Van Dyke movie that I had never seen in my life called "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". It's like seven hours long and the plot makes no sense at all. The main character of the movie is a car - a mysterious transforming car. And before the movie had scarcely begun, my little Isaac had fallen head-over-heels in love with this magical flying automobile.
And life has never been the same.When he turned three (before I started blogging) we had a grand Chitty Chitty Bang Bang birthday party complete with Chitty cupcakes and a performance of "Me Ole Bamboo" performed by Isaac himself, dressed like Mr. Potts.
Five months later I started this blog and posted a video introducing each member of our family - including, yep you guessed it. . . the important and honorary Chitty.

The first song Isaac learned was the Chitty theme song. The first picture Isaac drew was Chitty.
And the pinnacle of his happiness arrived when we took him to see the live theater production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang more than a year ago.

But as time goes on other things spark Isaac's interest (Star Wars, Narnia, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Magic School Bus, Astro Boy) and over and over again I keep wondering (sadly) if Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will be replaced. And then out of nowhere (like today) I'll find this:
And I realize that Isaac is not only loyal. . .
but really good at enchanting us all with this fantasmagorical machine. (Don't ask me how he got Clayton to go along with this.)So in honor of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (again) here is a video of what my kids have been up to now that school is out.


Happy Summer everyone!
.

4 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Okay, seriously, you have to tell me what you do to help your kids learn to use their imaginations like that! I swear mine have none. Issac is one of the funniest kids I know, and I don't even really know him! Thanks for making me feel like I do.

Unknown said...

Wow, who would have a guessed a little dvd could start all of this? To this day it is still one of my favorites and at 26, I had to go see the live production when it came to town too.

Maybe when you guys come we'll see what we can come up with to approximate a soap box car version...

Emily said...

Ooooooo Mark, you have no idea what you're promising. Just watching you (the real-live Mr. Potts) tinker around in your garage would be better than Disneyland for him.

He just about pees his pants anytime he sees a fancy "old-time" car on the road. I've got to figure out a way to get him to see Randy's collection.

And I'm glad you still like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Ha! It's true, you had no idea what you started!!!

Emily said...

Oh, and. . . you're awesome, Mark!